Volunteers and interns working in our sustainable tourism program
help promote responsible travel to our region. Projects include waste management, tourism development and environmental education.Job description
Each volunteer/internship placement is designed to respond to specific and timely needs within the community, while making the most of each volunteers' unique skills and experience. These are examples of the work you could be doing.
- Assess and mitigate potential environmental, economical and cultural risks related to the rapid growth of tourism.
- Develop tools that empower community members to act upon these challenges.
- Provide small-scale business development support.
- Support local environmental groups developing environmental education activities such as cleaning campaigns and reforestation.
- Manage a creative space for environmental education.
- Design and develop environmental workshops on issues such as sustainable use of water, proper disposal of waste, recycling and reusing.
- Participate in community events for recycling and reforestation.
- Teach English and promote entrepreneurship development with local businesses.
We're looking for someone who:
- has experience in project management, preferably in a related field (tourism, environmental studies, permaculture, business administration, etc.).
- is able to work with limited resources.
- enjoys new experiences and is inspired by the challenges of working in a rural, sometimes rustic, environment.
- is eager to meet new people and be a vocal advocate for Misión Gaïa's work, both while volunteering and at home.
- has an intermediate knowledge of Spanish. Improve your Spanish before your placement by taking one of our Spanish classes.
Minca, La Tagua.
Period and hours of participation
- Minimum of 6 weeks. 6 months is recommended
- 5 to 7 hours per day, 5 days per week
- One-time, non refundable $US 70 contribution from all volunteers. This fee goes directly to support organizational costs associated with recruiting volunteers, paying rent and utilities, staff and other administrative costs.
- All other costs may vary depending on the work you will be doing, how long you are staying, how many volunteers we are hosting, your work location, accomodation and other needs.
What is included (besides a once-in-a-lifetime experience)
- Available teaching materials.
- Transportation from the airport.
- Certificate of participation.
- Food is not included
- Read the participation requirements below.
- Complete and submit the volunteer application form.
- Send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Set-up a virtual or personal interview, depending on your location.
- Choose location and participation dates.
- Sign the volunteer/intern agreement.
- Apply for and receive a valid Visa for volunteer work in Colombia (we can help you with this process).
- Pay program fees 45 days prior to participation.
- Complete a pre-departure information session.
- Be of legal age (over 18 years old for Colombia). Participants under the age of 18 must travel with their parents or a responsible adult (with approval from their legal guardian).
- Accessing some work sites requires being in a good physical condition.
- Do not abuse of any illegal substances or drugs.
- Be in possesion of valid travel and medical insurance during program participation.
- Be in possesion of a valid volunteer Visa and have a clean legal record in Colombia and any other country.
- Commit to starting and participating during the agreed dates.
- Present all other required documents.
- Receive all required vaccinations.
- Confirm participation at least 6 weeks prior to start date.
Contact us if you have questions about our programs or the application process.