WHY JOIN OUR TEAM AS A VOLUNTEER
- We are a local NGO that works hand-in-hand with local communities
- We understand the local needs of the community; enabling us to best support and develop programs that help improve people's standards of living
- Every experience from our volunteers helps us to strengthen our relationship with the community
- We are located in the “Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta,” an environmentally unique and culturally sensitive and sacred place, with many wonderful hikes, waterfalls and farms nearby to explore
- The opportunity to share time with local people offers a cultural exchange that will help you to grow as a person
- We strive to make your experience exceptional, offering you a safe and secure volunteer experience in Colombia
Volunteering with us is a great opportunity to work on a variety of projects while also getting to know a magical part of the Sierra Nevada. Days and tasks are never dull; each week brings new projects and oftentimes some surprises. As volunteers stay with us on a shorter term basis, they help out here and there in all of our projects. Tasks often range from week to week.
DAILY TIME COMMITMENT
- Volunteers generally work 6 hours a day in either a morning or afternoon shift
- There are 2 free days per week for volunteers to enjoy the many activities in the area
- Work hours are flexible and often volunteers choose to work longer hours than the minimum commitment
We have a volunteer house that you can choose to stay in. Unfortunately, as we are a small organization, you have to cover your living and food costs. However, the longer you choose to stay, the more subsidized the costs for housing.
As a non-profit organization, Misión Gaia is funded in large part by volunteer fees. Your fee is actually a contribution that covers a wide variety of costs that are necessary to successfully run each volunteer program, from the preparation and training to housing and transportation. Together, your volunteer fees fund the foundation for a fully supported community development, service-learning experience.